B-1/B-2 Visas – Visas for Temporary Visitors

To be eligible for a B-1/B-2 visa, the applicant must be an alien and cannot be performing skilled or unskilled labor, law enforcement, a representative of foreign information media or a student. The alien must also have residence in a foreign country with no intention of abandoning that foreign residence. The alien must be visiting for business or pleasure. There is a 1-year maximum time limit on B visas with potential for 6-month extensions. 

The B -1 visa is meant for business visitors, including those who intend to meet with business associates, attend a scientific, educational, professional or business conference, negotiate a contract or conduct some type of business while in the United States. 

The B-2 visa is for aliens visiting the United States for medical procedures or pleasure. Examples of pleasure visitation include tourism, visiting friends or relatives, rest, activities of a social nature, and amusement. B-2 visa holders are also allowed to take a short course of study of less than 18 hours per week; however such credit should not be applied towards a degree.